- Buyers for a property can be found all year round however it's not often that a purchaser for your home is out there just waiting for you to put your home on the market.
- Timing, presentation and advertising are all required to bring buyers and sellers together for the best result.
- Spring is often considered to be the best time to sell. It's a time of optimism and with the weather clearing, more potential buyers will be out and about. It is also a time when more sellers will put their homes on the market so there will be more competition.
- Winter usually presents fewer buyers, but the buyers are usually more focussed on purchasing and traditionally there will be fewer homes on the market to choose from.
- Prior to placing your home on the market allow an additional two weeks to prepare both the property and the marketing material.
- A tidy home says "Welcome". Your home should be kept neat and tidy during the period of inspections. It should not necessarily be a "show place" but appear a comfortable home in which to live. Fresh flowers or indoor plants always brighten up a home.
- While your cleaning think about each room and what furniture really needs to be in it. Rooms look smaller when they are crowded. Clear out anything that is not needed to create a feeling of spaciousness.
- Make sure that all minor repairs are completed. Sticking doors and windows, loose door knobs, faulty plumbing, or peeling paint may affect your sale.
- Let plenty of light into your home, nothing improves atmosphere more than brightness and on a dull day switch on some lights prior to arrival of prospective purchasers.
- A warm comfortable heated home on cold days adds a feeling of cosiness and on a hot day don't forget to turn on any air conditioning or fans (or simply let the breeze flow through).
Method of Sale
- If you submit your property for Auction this means that prospective purchasers will bid against one another at a date and time suitable to you. You can set a reserve price which is the minimum you will accept and once bidding has passed that level you know you have a sale as it will be unconditional and a predetermined deposit must be paid on the day.
- Sale by Private Treaty means that you set a price at which your property is to be marketed to the public through the marketing plan agreed to by you and the agent.